The weather has warmed up in the last couple of weeks and I've been making the most of it to get out in the garden. I've been thinking about replacing the garden shed most of the winter. The roof is leaking, the door doesn't shut, it's leaning right over and there are loads of holes in the sides that let rain in. But I couldn't really bring myself to pay out for a new shed and I didn't like the idea of scrapping the old one (although I did have my eye on it for next winter's firewood!) so I decided to see if I could fix it up. I started by refelting the roof which took a while to remove the three layers of old felt and the hundreds of nails. Next with some help I levelled up the base by raising the bearers all along one side by about 10cm. After that it only took a bit of a shove to get it vertical again. The door was rehung and trimmed a little and now it fits perfectly. There are still a few gaps in the side but I'll reclad those bits eventually, maybe even with some shingles. Anyway, it now looks like a palace in comparison to its old state and it inspired me to get in it and plant some seeds.I've
been planting a range of seeds, mostly to fill out the herbaceous layer. I've put the seed trays either in the shed or in a mini-greenhouse:
I've also been doing some planting too. I put in some Soloman's seal (Polygonatum biflorum
) and Mashua/Anu (Tropaeolum tuberosum
) that I had ordered from ART
. I put half of the Mashua under a cloche and the other half in a pot in the shed. I also got donated some wild garlic which has only been in the ground for a week and already looks at home. Finally I put in some horseradish (Armoracia rusticana
) root from my local garden centre in a couple of spots. I can't wait to see if they grow!