I've also been pruning the redcurrants, whitecurrants, worcesterberry and blackcurrants. I also had to repair some of the supports on the boundary after the high winds that hold up the tayberry and some of the gooseberries. I've tied in the climbers like the tayberry, loganberry, blackberry and Japanese wineberry.
A little later I pruned the apple and pear trees. For most of the trees in the garden I'm still working on developing the framework of branches. It's nice to look back and see how the pruning has shaped the tree. I compiled all the videos for the Redsleeves apple which I'm growing as a bush tree.
The other apple trees got similar treatment. The only apples that didn't get pruned were the cordon (Blue Pearmain) and the Annie Elizabeth bush. That has been growing really slowly ever since it was planted. It has a dodgy graft from the nursery which is really swollen. I was hoping that it would recover as it got bigger but it doesn't seem to be the case. I think I might have to take it out or try some fancy bridge grafting on it. It's a shame because it is the only cooking apple in the garden. I decided that it would be good to have a better balance so I am planning to graft three new cooking apple varieties onto the existing apple at the end of the garden. I've had some success with grafting half of it with Egremont Russet and Merton Russet. There are still three or four branches of the original unknown variety that I am happy to lose so I ordered scions of Newton Wonder, Grenadier and Rev W Wilks from Deacon's nursery that I will graft onto those. I will have to wait a while but if they all take I should eventually have cookers from August through to March.
I pruned a couple of other trees too. I reduced the height of the quince tree as it was getting a bit taller than I wanted. My intention was that it would sit below the Tydeman's Late Orange standard apple behind it. The top was starting to compete with the apple for light so I took a few feet from the side closest to the apple, cutting back to the next main branch below. I also reduced the height of the Nottingham cob which was getting up to about 2.5 - 3.0m, a bit taller than I wanted. Hopefully it won't reduce it's productivity too much. Only time will tell.